This morning when I woke up and saw it was raining AND realised there was nothing in the fridge to give the kids for lunch I realised I had to think quickly. Seemed to me, a simple soup was in order.
This takes so little time to throw together and it turned out really well. Ethan and Ryan would have been happy to eat it for breakfast! I didn’t soak my lentils due to time constraints. If you do want to soak your lentils, reduce the stock amount by about a cup.
A very simple and tasty soup recipe that you will find easy to whip up at a moment's notice. If you don't have carrots, you could use pumpkin or sweet potatoes as an alternative. Similarly, add other herbs such as parsley, dill or sage. If you have time to soak the lentils, do so and reduce the stock amount by about 1 cup.
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir until the onions soften.
- Add the carrots, stock and lentils and mix well. Cover and leave to simmer for approximately 20 minutes (until carrots and lentils are soft).
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the coriander and with your stick blender (or food processor) blend the soup until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please let me know in the comments below. Thank you.