Today I took the kids to the skate park and I needed a packed lunch. We rarely do sandwiches and I needed something filling and nutritious. I served this with boiled eggs from our backyard chickens.
It is a mix of beans and different coloured salad vegetables with a lime and paprika dressing. Eat on it’s own or serve in a wrap with cheese and or avocado.
This salad is a mix of beans and different coloured salad vegetables with a lime and paprika dressing. Eat on it's own or serve in a wrap with cheese and or avocado.
- 1 cup of dried borlotti or pinto beans, soaked overnight - You can use 2 cans of beans if you prefer
- 1 medium-sized red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove of crushed garlic
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized red capsicum, diced
- 1 medium-sized cucumber, diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika (smoked or sweet)
- If you are preparing your own beans, drain and rinse. Place beans into a large saucepan and cover generously with water. Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer until beans are soft. If you have one, a pressure cooker will do the job a lot faster. If you are using canned beans, drain and rinse well.
- Place all salad ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Combine dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Mix well and serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please let me know in the comments below. Thank you.