This is my first raw food slice and it went down very well! It is quick to make and serves as a sweet snack or a dessert.
A raw slice which is quick to make and very versatile. Leave the cocoa out and add a little more nuts and a tsp of vanilla to have a vanilla base and vary your berries for the filling. Personally this combination is my favourite though.
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 5 medjool dates - seeds removed
- the flesh of one very small apple - leave the skin on
- 140g berries - Use raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or mixed berries.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, liquid - You may need to warm it over a bowl of hot water if it is hard
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup desiccated or shredded coconut to top
- Lightly grease an 18cm square cake tin with coconut oil and then line with baking paper so that it hangs over two of the sides. This will make it easier to lift the slice out when it is set.
- Combine the base ingredients until it forms a doughy mix - not completely smooth but not too chunky either.
- Press into the bottom of the cake tin and store in the fridge or freezer while you prepare the topping.
- For the topping, combine the berries, coconut oil, vanilla and maple syrup in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix in the chia seeds at a gentle speed and then spread over the base in your cake tin.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the top and place into the fridge or freezer to set. Of course it all happens faster in the freezer.
- When the slice is set, run your knife around the edges and then lift it out of the tin using the paper as handles. Slice into squares and serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please let me know in the comments below. Thank you.