This salad uses protein filled quinoa and chickpeas with flavours associated with Greek food; lemon, dill, parsley, feta and red onion. It is a substantial salad making it a suitable meal. Great for school lunch boxes too!
This recipe is so adaptable. You can use chickpeas or any other bean you like, or you can leave them out altogether for a lighter salad. Add other salad vegetables such as cucumber or capsicum, or use other herbs such as mint or tarragon. Experiment and see what combinations suit you best.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock - or 2 cups water and 1 tbps stock paste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- grated zest of one lemon
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 can or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 medium-sized diced tomatoes or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g crumbled feta cheese - you can use more if you like a stronger feta flavour
- Place the quinoa and stock into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer covered until most of the water has been absorbed and then remove from heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Place the onion, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and a pinch of sea salt into a small bowl and mix well. Leave to sit for 10 minutes and this will soften and season the onion.
- Place the cooled quinoa, onion mix and remaining ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Serve as a side or a meal on its own.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please let me know in the comments below. Thank you.