Popcorn itself is a healthy snack – well that is as long as you have certified organic, non-GMO popping corn. (Such is the world we live in). But it is the toppings that are usually full of the bad stuff. This is your answer. A salty, cheesy, tasty seasoning that you can mix through your popcorn and enjoy, knowing it is actually good for you. The base is savoury yeast flakes. For those that don’t know much about this ingredient, here are some basics:
- A deactivated yeast – meaning it will not contribute to an overgrowth of yeast in the gut.
- Contains a significant amount of B Vitamins and is often fortified with B12.
- It is a complete protein.
- Available in health food stores and some supermarkets.
Among other natural ingredients, my recipe also contains salt because we just can’t eat our popcorn without it. With that in mind, we use Celtic Sea Salt which has not been stripped of its minerals. We also don’t overuse it.
Use this seasoning on freshly popped corn. Reminiscent of cheesy corn chips flavouring and a great way to consume protein and B Vitamins. This recipe makes over a cup of seasoning and can be stored in an airtight jar in the pantry. Will last until the use-by date on your yeast flakes.
- Put all ingredients into a thermomix or high speed blender. Mix until the seasoning texture is that of fine salt. If you don't have a high speed blender, you could use a coffee grinder.
- Sprinkle over freshly popped corn with cold pressed olive oil. The oil will help it stick and is a replacement for the usual melted butter option.