Smoothie bowls are such a great way to enjoy a sweet treat and power up with nutrients at the same time. Especially great for kids because you can hide stuff in them that they may not ordinarily eat! The trick is getting the balance of flavours right so that they stay blissfully unaware. Actually I guess none of us like to taste vegetable with chocolate or berries so there is more than one reason to get it right.
But what is a smoothie bowl? Well it is a thick mix (like soft serve icecream) of healthy ingredients that may include fruit, vegetables, raw cacao, nuts, seeds, protein powder or other superfood powders. You will need a high powered blender to make it nice and smooth. That mix goes into a bowl and is then topped with fresh fruit. You can also add coconut yoghurt and something crunchy. For eg cacao nibs, nuts, buckinis or muesli.
Smoothie bowls are a great summer breakfast or afternoon tea. I like to serve them after school when the kids come home hot, tired and ready for something chilled.
Once you have tried this version, experiment with your own combinations. Please share them on my FB page or Instagram as I love to see what other people are doing. When it comes to food and its preparation, sharing makes it all so much richer.
A smoothie bowl is a wonderful treat that will provide you with nutrients as well as your sweet fix. This combination of fruit, veges, seeds and nuts is a fantastic after school boost. You will need a high powered blender to make this. Something like a Thermomix or Blendtec. Serves 3-4
- Bottom Layer Ingredients
- Handful of spinach or kale - thick stems removed
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 4 medjool dates - depending on how sweet your tooth is
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup milk or coconut water
- Chopped fresh fruit - eg bananas, berries, kiwifruit, mango, dragonfruit, melons, stone fruit
- Shredded coconut
- Crunchy toppings - e.g. Toasted muesli, cacao nibs or buckinis
- Coconut yoghurt
- Place cauliflower and spinach into the blender/food processor and blend until pulverised.
- Add all remaining ingredients for bottom layer and whizz until smooth.
- Spoon into bowls and top with fruit and other toppings.