Nuts can be expensive to buy, especially if you are after organic or insecticide free and nut butters are even more expensive! If you don’t want to pay the high prices, it is worth making your own. As long as you have a food processor, it is very quick and easy.
You can make your nut butters from only one nut or a combination. ABC spread is very popular, made of a blend of almonds, brazil nuts and cashews. Together they make a complete protein.
You can also choose to use raw nuts or roasted. Raw nut butters are healthier as the oils have not been destroyed in the oven. Roasted are popular though as many people prefer the taste. Below are basic instructions for making any nut butter.
The quantity of nuts you use depends on how much nut butter you want to make and how big your food processor is. For this reason, I have left it open in the instructions below.
- Place nuts and salt into your food processor and blend on high until a fine powder is formed.
- Turn the speed down at this point if you have a high powered blender otherwise the ingredients will get sprayed to the sides and not continue to mix.
- Blend on medium speed until the oils are released from the nuts and it starts to form a paste. The longer you blend, the more oils will be released.
- When butter has reached desired consistency, taste for saltiness if you added salt and adjust if necessary.
- Decant into a jar and refrigerate.
- Keeps for a month.